The AAUW International Fellowship program is currently accepting applications, offering a valuable opportunity for female applicants who hold citizenship in a country outside the United States or possess a non-immigrant visa if currently residing in the U.S.
Having a rich history dating back to 1917, the International Fellowships program aims to assist women who are dedicated to pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral studies in the United States. These fellowships are specifically designed for individuals who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who have a strong intention to return to their home country upon completion of their studies in order to embark on a professional career.
- Fellowship Sponsor(s): AAUW, USA
- Host Institution(s): AAUW, USA
- Fellowship Worth: Ranging from $20,000 to $50,000
- Number of Awards: Multiple fellowships available
- Study Level: Full-time Graduate or Postdoctoral
- Nationality: Open to International Students (Women)
A select number of scholarships are offered for academic pursuits in countries other than the applicant’s home nation, exclusively for women who are affiliated with Graduate Women International (GWI) through its affiliated organizations (refer to the GWI affiliates list). This scholarship program extends support for both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited institutions in the United States.
Applicants must have achieved educational qualifications equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree by the application deadline. Additionally, they should have submitted their applications to their chosen U.S. educational institutions before applying for the scholarship. Successful candidates will be chosen based on their academic accomplishments and demonstrated dedication to the advancement of women and girls.
To be considered for AAUW’s International Fellowship, applicants must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizenship Status:
- Hold citizenship in a country other than the United States, or possess a non-immigrant visa if currently residing in the U.S. Applicants who are U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or dual citizens with the U.S. and another country, either currently or during the fellowship year, are ineligible.
- Academic Qualifications:
- Possess an academic degree, whether earned in the U.S. or abroad, that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, completed by the application deadline.
- Full-Time Commitment:
- Plan to dedicate themselves full-time to their proposed academic program during the fellowship year.
- Career Intentions:
- Express a clear intention to return to their home country upon completion of their studies and pursue a professional career.
- English Proficiency:
- Demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting one of the Required Components, such as specific English proficiency exam results, transcripts from English-speaking institutions, or a written statement confirming English as their native language.
- Previous AAUW Awards:
- Not have been previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant, with the exception of branch or local awards or Community Action Grants.
- AAUW Affiliation:
- Members of the AAUW board of directors, committees, panels, task forces, and staff, including current interns, are ineligible to apply for AAUW’s fellowships and grants. However, individuals holding current awards are eligible for election or appointment to boards, committees, panels, and task forces.
- Field of Study and Institution:
- International Fellowships are open to scholars who identify as women and are pursuing studies in all fields at accredited higher education institutions. For postdoctoral fellows, research projects are also eligible. AAUW retains the authority to make final determinations regarding eligible institutions.
Applicants who are not successful in their initial application may reapply for future opportunities.
How to Apply:
Application Procedure: To apply for AAUW’s International Fellowships, candidates are required to follow the online application process. If you are interested and meet the eligibility criteria, you can initiate the application process by clicking on the “Apply Now” button, which will take you to the application platform where you can create an account.
Ensure that you meticulously fill out all the obligatory components in the following sections:
- Getting Started
- Background Information
- Research Proposal
- Recommendations, Documents, and Review