The University of Bonn will be offering the Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in Africa, Latin America and Asia. Interested candidates are invited to apply for the award which offers the opportunity for research stays in Bonn (3–12 months) for doctoral students of the named regions.
The aim is to provide funding for doctoral candidates from countries in Africa, Latin America and Asia in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, particularly in regions that have been relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production and to promote international cooperation in the priority regions indicated in the partnership strategy.
University of Bonn, Germany
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of € 1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to € 300 for a spouse and € 250 per child)
- A research expense allowance of up to € 300 per month that can be submitted to the International Office after the scholarship has been awarded. Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your scholarship award.
Africans, Latin Americans and Asians
- Preference is given to international doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
- Doctoral candidates who are already pursuing their Ph.D. at the University of Bonn are not eligible for funding.
- Recipients of funding should finish their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
The application must be submitted by a full-time professor from the University of Bonn. Up to two applications per host/professor can be considered. The doctoral candidates must submit a signed motivational letter.
The Application should include:
- Online form (link given below)
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project, worked on during the person’s stay in Bonn;
please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the host to invite the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project supervised in Bonn
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
May 1st, 2022