AFLSP at Kyoto University
Kyoto University is now accepting applications for the 2023-24 academic year for the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP), which is fully funded. The AFLSP, administered by the Bai Xian Asia Institute (BXAI), is designed to cultivate long-term connections between students and educational institutions in Asia based on trust and mutual understanding. The scholarship is awarded for two years and provides financial support, a summer program, and networking opportunities to selected students pursuing master’s degree programs.
The scholarship is available for master’s degree programs at Kyoto University.
Applicants can apply to any master’s degree program offered at Kyoto University.
The AFLSP provides Japan’s highest-class scholarship, which includes monthly stipends (Year 2019: approx. 150,000 Yen/Month), admission fees, tuition fees, and a professional enrichment program. The scholarship amount may vary depending on the exchange rate.
Graduates or graduating students from designated universities in Asia, including Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, and Myanmar, are eligible to apply.
To be eligible for the AFLSP, applicants must:
- Have graduated from a designated university in Asia.
- Be admitted to a Kyoto University master’s degree program.
- Refer to the complete eligibility and selection criteria in the Application Guidelines.
The application procedure for the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) at Kyoto University consists of several steps. Here’s a breakdown of the process:
- Check the Application Period: The application period for the AFLSP is from April 1 (Sat) to April 10 (Mon), 2023. The application closes at 17:00 p.m. Japan time. Applicants must make sure to apply during this period.
- Read the Application Guidelines: The applicants should read the Application Guidelines carefully in either Japanese or English, which are available on the scholarship program’s website. The guidelines provide important information about eligibility, required documents, and other details about the scholarship.
- Prepare the Required Documents: Applicants must prepare all the required documents before submitting their application. These documents include:
- Scholarship Application Form
- Research Plan (in any format)
- Essay on a contemporary key issue in Asia
- Letter of Recommendation
- Photograph of the applicant
- Certificate of English Proficiency (TOEFL iBT, IELTS, etc.)
- Copy of the university diploma
- Certificate of enrollment (if the applicant is expecting to graduate from a university)
- Academic Transcript
- Declaration of Understanding and Agreement for an International Student Scholarship Application
- Letter of Admission from a graduate school at Kyoto University
- Copy of Residence Card (both sides)
- “教育部学歴証書電子注冊備案表” or “教育部学籍在線験証報告” (only required for applicants who graduated or will graduate from a designated university in China)
- Submit the Application: After preparing all the required documents, applicants must send them all at once in a single ZIP folder to the email address: [email protected]. The documents should be in PDF format.
- Selection Process: For further details on the selection process, applicants can refer to the Selection Process section on the AFLSP website. The scholarship program administers the selection process, and applicants will be notified of the results via email.