The PhD programs offered by UNNC require students to carry out research for three years, followed by a one-year period dedicated to working on their thesis. If enrolled as a full-time student, they must submit their thesis within four years of their initial registration.
To ensure quality supervision, UNNC collaborates with academics from CNITECH, CAS, and UNUK.
After successfully completing their PhD, students will be awarded a degree from the University of Nottingham, with no indication of where it was obtained. This degree is recognized by both the Chinese Ministry of Education and the UK Quality Assurance Agency.
The University of Nottingham:
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) is a branch campus of the University of Nottingham in the UK, situated in Ningbo, China. It was founded in 2004 and holds the distinction of being the first Sino-foreign university in China. UNNC provides a diverse array of undergraduate and postgraduate courses spanning multiple fields, such as business, engineering, and humanities.
China Ningbo International Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship Center (CNITECH):
China Ningbo International Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship Center (CNITECH) is an entrepreneurship and technology transfer center situated in Ningbo, China. It was founded in 2014 with the aim of fostering innovation and entrepreneurship in the area by facilitating connections between research institutions, enterprises, and investors.
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS):
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) is a nationally recognized research institution in China that falls under the purview of the State Council of China. It was established in 1949 and has its headquarters in Beijing. CAS comprises a network of research institutions and universities across China, among which is the Ningbo Institute of Industrial Technology. This institute collaborates with UNNC for PhD supervision.
The University of Nottingham UK (UNUK):
The University of Nottingham UK (UNUK) is a university that prioritizes research and is situated in Nottingham, UK. It has a long history, having been established in 1881, and is widely regarded as one of the UK’s premier universities. UNUK has a notable reputation for its research endeavors, which span various domains such as science, engineering, and humanities. The university collaborates with the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) to provide joint PhD supervision.
The Doctoral Training Partnership Scholarships at UNNC and CNITECH, CAS 2023, UK is open for students who wish to pursue a PhD program at the University of Nottingham.
The available PhD scholarship provides the following benefits:
- Coverage of tuition fees
- Monthly stipend of RMB3,500
- Accommodation at CNITECH for the PhD candidate only (subject to availability)
- These benefits are granted for a maximum of 36 months based on satisfactory progression and compliance with the regulations set out in the UNNC PhD Scholarship Policy.
- Successful candidates will have the opportunity to undertake teaching or research assistant duties at UNNC in their second year of the PhD program after completing the required Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) training.
International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
To be eligible for the PhD Scholarship, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Meet the entry requirements for a PhD program as specified on the website’s ‘entry requirements‘ page.
- Hold a master’s degree with a minimum average score of 65% and a degree classification of Merit or above from a British university. Applicants must also have a bachelor’s degree at upper second class or above level. If the applicant is from an institution that uses a different score system, they must have achieved an equivalent level of performance.
- For the Faculty of Science and Engineering, applicants with a first-class honours bachelor’s degree from a British university or its equivalent from other institutions may also be considered.
- Meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area. FoSE scholarship applicants must have an IELTS score of at least 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in all elements or its equivalent.
To apply for the scholarship, you do not need to submit a separate application. Instead, follow these steps:
- Begin your application for the PhD program using the application system provided on the website.
- During the application process, ensure that you select the correct scholarship reference number.
- Refer to the ‘how to apply‘ page for a list of required documents that you will need to provide with your PhD application.
- Submit all necessary documents before the deadline stated on the website.
- The scholarship selection committee will evaluate all eligible applications and award the scholarships to the successful candidates.