Electher Future Lawmakers Programme:
Are you an aspiring Nigerian female lawmaker with a deep commitment to public service? Are you looking to run for state or federal assembly in 2023? Then EFLP is for you! Delivering on our mandate to develop a multidimensional empowerment model of capacity building that will equip women with the requisite skills and knowledge to competitively run for elective office, ElectHER invites applications for the 1st Cohort of ElectHER Future Lawmakers Programme (EFLP). ElectHER Future Lawmakers Programme is a flagship programme of ElectHER Academy which seeks to address the decline in numbers of female leaders and to raise a new generation of female lawmakers who are resolute in their pursuit of changing the statuesque. This fellowship is aimed at identifying, equipping and enabling women working in different sectors to run for law making office positions.
EFLP is an intensive five months legislative and leadership development programme for aspiring female lawmakers. The fellowship is targeted at professionals who have a strong interest in politics and aspire to run for lawmaking office at the federal or state assemblies across Nigeria. 2 For this inaugural cohort, 30 exceptional women between the ages of 25 – 45, looking to run for a parliamentary seat, either at the state of federal level, in the 2023 elections will be shortlisted. Fellows will receive the requisite training, tools and access to a space to innovate new ideas, accelerate their impact, ideate strategies for the 2023 elections, and gain increased access to human, social and financial capital.
Over the five-month period, fellows will have access to:
- Virtual learning sessions consisting of lectures, online seminars, discussions, workshops, informal networking, masterclasses and guest spotlight interactive sessions with key leaders and lawmakers in Nigeria and across the world.
- A one-week residency in Abuja to gain practical knowledge and engage key stakeholders.
- An opportunity to execute and fundraise for a constituency project.
- Consultancy work placement
What you gain at the end of the program:
- The fellowship is intensive, highly participatory and interactive, providing a supportive learning environment, skill building, legislative depth and for exchange of best practices and experiences. At the end of the programme and upon successful completion, fellows would have achieved;
- Stronger personal brand as one of the promising female politicians to watch out for in the 2023 elections.
- Intensive training on policy design and analysis.
- A robust and in-depth understanding of the legislature and principles of lawmaking.
- Access to a community support network locally and internationally.
- Access to campaign funding opportunities.
- Nigerians’ resident in Nigeria.
- Must be running for office at either Federal or State assemblies’ levels in 2023. May have ran for office previously at the Federal or State assemblies.
- Demonstrated interest in government, politics and/or public affairs. Previously/ currently working in government within a technical capacity, or in government consulting.
- Must have a clear engagement strategy for the 2023 elections and have reasonable social capital within the political space.
- Must be serious about contesting and winning elections in 2023!
Application Procedure and Documentation:
All intending fellows must fill an application form for the programme on or before Friday, June 11th 2021. Please get the following documents ready, as you will be required to attach with your application.
- An updated CV.
- A letter of recommendation from a past or current political office holders. Letters should be written by someone who can attest to your professional abilities, character and suitability for this programme.
June 11th 2021