The ILEM platform has organized the International ILEM Summer School in Turkey for 2023, with the aim of addressing the crucial challenges facing the Islamic world. In order to achieve this goal, the program intends to assemble experts, scholars, and creatives from all over the globe. Applications are welcome from individuals with various backgrounds, as this summer school is widely recognized worldwide. The central theme of the ILEM summer school will explore how art and aesthetics in the Islamic world can be reimagined through conceptual, theoretical, and practical approaches that align with socio-political perspectives. The summer school will present Islamic art as it relates to both tradition and mystical experiences within the artistic and intellectual community.
The IISM 2023 has the objective of shedding light on artistic expressions beyond biased and limited viewpoints. The program seeks to evaluate the prospect of developing aesthetic principles during the Middle Ages, by exploring the two extremes of cultural schizophrenia and acculturation. The goal is to create an aesthetic link between the ancient past and the future by honoring and respecting cultural differences. Participants will gain insight into the connection between aesthetic values and the concept of beauty, which have been passed down through generations and are reflected in various art forms. The program delves into several themes, such as innovation, tradition, classical art, and perennial wisdom, in order to enhance the theoretical understanding of Islamic aesthetics, within the context of a metaphysical framework.
The fully-funded summer school opportunity will involve in-depth theoretical discussions on Islamic arts, exploring their origins and content. The program will also delve into contemporary issues concerning Islamic theories, such as digitalization, and the prospect of reconciling traditional values with modern artistic interpretations, in accordance with aesthetic principles. Additionally, the program will examine the socio-political implications of Islamic aesthetics from the perspective of social life. There will be a comprehensive analysis of Islamic arts in relation to major issues like propaganda, cultural diplomacy, enculturation, environmental concerns, among others.
The upcoming international summer school in 2023 will encompass a wide range of topics, including the theoretical framework of Islamic aesthetics, mystical interpretation, and the Qur’anic roots of Islamic arts. There will be discussions on how beauty, truth, and goodness are perceived in Islamic aesthetics, and the significance of sacred symbolism and geometry in Islamic art. The program will explore critical re-evaluations of Ilm-al-Jamal and Ihsan in Islamic art, as well as perspectives on Islamic aesthetics from a western standpoint. Methodology in Islamic arts, the role of art in knowledge transmission, and the meaning of Islamic arts will also be examined. Other areas of focus will include the Islamization of art in the post-colonial world, the balance between innovation and conservatism in Islamic arts, the impact of digital technology on Islamic arts, and the place of art in daily life, consumer culture, and society. The program will also examine cultural and environmental awareness, the relationship between Islam and the Clash of civilizations, art as a tool for cultural diplomacy and political legitimacy, and the role of aesthetic propaganda across the globe. Additionally, there will be discussions on cultural nationalism and its connection to Islamic arts.
- Host Country: Turkey.
- Host Organization: ILEM Academic Studies Association.
- Degree Level: Doctoral Level.
- Program Duration: The summer school will span seven days, beginning on July 24, 2023, and concluding on July 30, 2023.
- The program provides exposure to resolving major issues of the Islamic world.
- Accommodation is included in the program.
- Daily meals are provided.
- Transportation during the program is covered.
- Social-cultural expenses are also covered.
- Traveling expenses are included.
- Students in the related field are eligible to apply.
- Junior scholars in the related field are eligible to apply.
- Participants presenting a paper are eligible to apply.
- People from various backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- People of any age are welcome to apply.
- People of any nationality, origin, race, and color are invited to apply.
How to Apply:
- Applicants are required to create an account on the Congress Management System.
- Proposals must be uploaded to the system.
- The international ILEM Summer School Scientific Committee will evaluate the proposals.
- If a proposal is accepted, the full manuscript must be uploaded to the Congress Management System.
- Participants will be announced based on the final evaluation.
The deadline to submit proposals is May 01, 2023.