University of Hamburg offers fully funded PhD Scholarships for international students in subjects taught at the university. The scholarship will cover tuition fee support. The scholarship is open for all those student who fulfils admission requirements. You must have graduated with above-average grades and intend to pursue your doctoral project at Universität Hamburg.
University of Hamburg, Germany
Scholarship Benefits and Details:
- Scholarship funding, generally granted for a year, should succeed employment immediately. Exceptions will be made for special cases. You may be allowed 4 years of employment plus 3 more years of work (absolute max!) if family-related reasons prevented you from continuing sooner.
- The monthly fellowship amount is EUR 1200. Parenting fellows may be eligible for an additional EUR 154 for childcare. Verification for the latter has to be provided by the applicant.
- Fellowships are granted for one year. Stipends maybe extended for an additional year. Completion fellowships cannot be extended!
- If your spouse or husband is fully employed please inquire with the office about funding opportunities.
- HmbNFG-scholarships are open to all Hamburg students who meet the requirements. However, students of medicine (UKE) can only apply if their main topic for the doctoral study lies mainly within another faculty, such as medical psychology, pharmacy, biology, chemistry or physics. The standard procedure for students of medicine at the UKE is to write course-related doctoral theses.
- Your university graduation should not date back more than one year. If your final exam is longer ago, chances of receiving a scholarship are reduced. In special cases we may also consider applicants who graduated up to three years back (absolute max!), for instance, when family-related or health reasons have prevented you from continuing sooner.
Please use the forms under “Downloads” to apply; it is very important that you follow the above instructions on application procedure specifics.
You can only apply for extensions of stipends during the application period. Your application must comprise a research report and two expert reviews.
Applicants should not apply without having taken all their exams. One working day before the awarding conference of ZANF (central commission for the promotion of young scientists-usually in January and June/July) all grades have to be handed in latest for being considered for the scholarships.
Applicants are responsible for the timely and complete submission of all requested documents! For formal reasons late applications not accepted. The date of online submission applies. Certificates and diplomas may be submitted within a one-week extended deadline – please enquire after the exact date!
Please address applications to: