Applications are presently being accepted for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists, which will be applicable for the academic year 2024/2025. This esteemed initiative, overseen by the Swiss government, exemplifies its commitment to fostering global interaction and collaborative research endeavors between Switzerland and more than 180 nations.
Year after year, the Swiss government allocates a substantial number of scholarships to meritorious foreign scholars and artists, reflecting its dedication to nurturing international intellectual exchanges. This program, administered by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), meticulously identifies deserving recipients who fulfill the criteria.
Targeting emerging talents from overseas, the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships extend their reach to promising researchers who have successfully accomplished their master’s or doctoral degrees, as well as to foreign artists who have achieved a bachelor’s degree. The multifaceted nature of this initiative underscores Switzerland’s commitment to cultivating a diverse and dynamic academic landscape.
- Sponsor: Swiss Government
- Host Institutions: All Swiss Public Universities
- Scholarship Value: Fully-funded (includes complete study expenses and related costs)
- Awards Quantity: Multiple (specific number not mentioned)
- Academic Levels: Masters & PhD degrees
- Eligibility: Open to International Students
The following scholarship categories cater to foreign scholars and artists, each offering distinct opportunities:
- This scholarship encompasses research fellowships, PhD studies, and postdoctoral research.
- Targeted towards post-graduate researchers in all academic fields.
- Applicants must hold at least a master’s degree and intend to pursue research or advanced studies at doctoral or postdoctoral levels in Switzerland.
- Eligible institutions include Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, federal institutes of technology, and designated research institutes.
- Nomination by an academic mentor from the aforementioned higher education establishments is a prerequisite for consideration.
- Geared towards art students aspiring to undertake an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
- Applicable for study at Swiss conservatories or universities of the arts.
- Accessible to students from specific countries, as outlined in the eligibility criteria.
It’s worth noting that these scholarships represent distinct pathways for foreign scholars and artists to engage in enriching academic and creative pursuits within Switzerland.
Eligibility requirements for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships encompass the following criteria:
- The candidate must be an international student, classified as a foreign scholar or artist.
- Admission to either a Masters or PhD program is mandatory.
- For those applying to a Masters program, possessing (or being on the verge of obtaining) an undergraduate degree (or its international equivalent) from a reputable institution is imperative.
- For aspirants targeting a PhD program, a master’s-level qualification at a merit or distinction level (or its international equivalent) is essential.
- A demonstrable history of engagement with research is anticipated. This can entail involvement in publications/articles, efforts to disseminate research to a broader audience, recognition or awards for research endeavors or project undertakings.
The evaluation process conducted by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) involves the assessment of scholarship applications based on three key benchmarks:
- Applicant’s Profile Evaluation
- Evaluation of Research Project or Artistic Endeavor’s Excellence
- Assessment of Potential Collaborative Synergies and Future Research Prospects.
The scholarship provides comprehensive funding that includes:
- Full coverage of university tuition fees charged at the international rate.
- Health insurance coverage.
- Airfare expenses.
- Housing allowance and additional benefits.
Prospective candidates who are both interested and meet the eligibility criteria for the Swiss Government Scholarships are required to follow a specific procedure. It entails applying for and securing an unconditional offer of admission to pursue full-time Masters or PhD studies at any Swiss public university. Subsequently, applicants can proceed to initiate their scholarship application. Detailed instructions on the application steps can be found [here].
Application Deadline: Varies