German Chancellor Fellowship:
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Graduates with initial leadership experience.
Field of Study:
Politics, Business, Media, Administration, Society or Culture
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. We will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 euros, 2,470 euros or 2,770 euros – depending on your training and career level.
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship.
- individual support during your stay in Germany.
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course.
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society.
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows.
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions.
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career.
Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you:
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October of the year in which the selection is made.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German
Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa or the USA.
Before applying, you should discuss the details of your project with your chosen host. Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are;
- project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany;
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background.
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents.
15 October 2021.