HEARD PhD Scholarships:
Thematic research areas:
- Sexual & Reproductive Health and Rights;
- Gender Equality and Health;
- Health Governance and Finance; and
- Health Systems Strengthening.
- Applicants in the process of completing a Master’s degree will not be considered.
- PhD students may not work while studying.
- The first scholarship tranche will be released on proof of PhD registration and the opening of a South African bank account.
- If you have not received a reply within 6 weeks of the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
The value of each scholarship is R540,000 and will be paid in equal tranches over three years and payments will be conditional on research progress. Successful candidates are required to be based in Durban, South Africa, for the duration of the scholarship, with the exception of the time during which they may undertake field research elsewhere.
Applications are invited from citizens of all African countries. Female candidates and, in the case of South Africa, those from previously disadvantaged backgrounds, are especially encouraged to apply.
- A letter of motivation and CV.
- An eight to ten-page concept note on one of HEARD’s key thematic research areas stated above.
- Certified copies of both your academic qualifications and your full academic records. If qualifications were obtained from non-English speaking countries please ensure that an official English translation is included.
- A certified copy of your ID/passport.
- Two letters of reference, at least one of which must be academic. The second can be from an individual of professional standing.
15 April 2021.