IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program:
Professional mathematicians are invited to nominate highly motivated and mathematically talented students from developing countries who plan to complete a doctoral degree in a developing country, including their own home country. Nominees must have a consistently good academic record and must be seriously interested in pursuing a career of research and teaching in mathematics.
It is the hope of the donors, the IMU and FIMU that the fellowship helps educate the next generation of mathematicians and hopefully results in extended benefits to the home countries of those chosen for the fellowships.
The fellowship can cover the entire period of the doctoral program up to four years of the student (nominee). The following costs up to a maximum of USD 10.000 per year can be covered by the grant.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
Students from Developing Countries
The nomination form has to be filled out online and be submitted by the nominator. Students cannot apply themselves for the fellowship. Paper applications are not accepted. Changes after submission are not possible.
Conditions for the Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
Conditions for the Nominee (Student)
- The student must be A) resident AND B) a citizen of a developing country
- The student must either
- A) be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country. OR
- B) already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country
- There is no age limit for the student.
Nomination for women students is strongly encouraged.
Application Procedure Instructions:
The nomination has to be filled out and submitted online by the nominator.
Once your are logged in, you can find the online nomination form here:
May 31, 2021