Are you qualified to become a Mastercard Foundation Scholar? In order to participate in this special scholarship program, the University of Cape Town is seeking the next generation of leaders. As part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, nearly 400 African students will receive full scholarships to UCT till 2024.
The University of Cape Town has partnered with The Mastercard Foundation in its Global Scholars’ Program; an educational initiative that will provide young people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, with leadership potential from developing countries in Africa with access to quality university education.
University of Cape Town, South Africa
Bachelor degree, Masters & Postgraduate Hon.
Scholarship Benefits and Details:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are (i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or (ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are (i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town.
The program offers students a top-notch education, as well as opportunities for leadership and professional development, mentoring, and access to a large alumni network. Discover how you can assist us in bringing about good change in our communities.
The Program will provide scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
For Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants should meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country;
- Applicants must be admitted to a Postgraduate Honours and Masters programme and preparing to commence with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built; Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT;
- From an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential;
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Honours and Masters postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship;
- Applicants who have previously registered for an Honours and Masters postgraduate degree at the same level at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship;
- Applicants must have applied and received a firm offer to study at UCT for the 2023 academic year;
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background;
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity;
- No applications for undergraduate, postgraduate diploma, PhD study programmes will be accepted or considered for the 2023 Scholar intake to the Program.
In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must first apply to UCT for academic study and placement (Important to note – upon generating the student number, applicants may proceed with the scholarship application whilst awaiting final academic application outcomes).
At the point of scholarship selection, the applicant should have a conditional/firm offer from UCT. The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the POSTGRADUATE scholarship application form on the online application portal:
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two(2) A4 pages using the following points as context: ⎯ Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities ⎯ Skills and Interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Certified copies of all current and previous Tertiary education transcripts
- Two (2) different Academic Referee Reports
- Applicants are required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts and academic referee reports where English is not the primary language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the official institutional letterhead with original signature, stamp and date in support of the applicant.