AMC offers a scholarship program exclusively for AMC/UvA students pursuing MD/PhD degrees. This program combines medical Master’s studies with PhD research and allows students to complete both degrees in a shorter timeframe. MD/PhD students at AMC/UvA and VUmc/VU have different study arrangements, with the AMC/UvA program being available only to AMC/UvA students. The Master’s degree program for MD/PhD students is designed to blend education and research, and the specific start and end dates for the different phases of the Master’s program are determined by AMC Onderwijssupport. MD/PhD students are required to announce the desired starting date of their “semi-arts” internship (SAS) eight months in advance, and internships may need to be planned up to five years in advance. During their clinical internships, MD/PhD students have the same rights and obligations as other Master’s degree students and must follow the Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER) of the program as well as the Teaching Regulations for MD/PhD students.
The MD/PhD Scholarships (AMC/UvA) 2023-24 in Amsterdam, Netherlands, are available for students who wish to pursue Masters and PhD level programs at Amsterdam UMC.
The scholarship program for MD/PhD at AMC/UvA in Amsterdam, Netherlands, is available for students who wish to study Medicine.
- The MD/PhD scholarship program covers the salary of an MD/PhD student for a period of two and a half years.
- The scholarship also provides limited additional research expenses.
- If the total cost of the project exceeds the amount covered by the scholarship, the MD/PhD student and the PhD supervisor must secure additional funding from other sources.
- The scholarship program provides four internally funded MD/PhD scholarships each year.
- The AMC grants funding for two years, and the department must match the salary for the remaining months of research work.
- Before the allocation of the MD/PhD scholarship, a written matching declaration signed by both the head of the department and the division manager must be submitted.
- It is possible to apply with complete departmental or external funding, and these applications follow the same selection procedure and criteria.
- The number of externally funded MD/PhD positions is also limited to four.
Open to international students of all nationalities.
To be eligible for the MD/PhD program 2023 at AMC/UvA in Amsterdam, Netherlands, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must have a track record full of scientific promise, as evidenced by proven research activities on the CV, grade list, and letter of motivation.
- Must provide a letter of recommendation from an AMC PI and/or extracurricular research activities in the AMC or affiliated research institutes.
- Must have obtained excellent evaluations for their Bachelor’s courses and no unnecessary study delay.
- Must have started the Bachelor’s degree program in Medicine in the academic year 2020-2021 or started earlier without unnecessary study delay or started the premaster program in Summer 2022.
- Must not have started clinical internship rotations and will not start their clinical internship rotations before March 1, 2024.
- Must obtain a Bachelor’s or Premaster degree in Medicine before January 1, 2024.
These eligibility criteria are applicable to AMC students only.
To apply for the MD/PhD scholarship, you need to submit the following documents in the given order:
- A letter of application that describes why you are applying for the scholarship and how you meet the eligibility criteria.
- A research proposal using the provided standard form, which includes the project’s description, the intended department at the AMC, the name of the PhD supervisor, and an estimated budget of the total research cost, including proportions to be met from the scholarship and other sources.
- Your curriculum vitae, which includes your bachelor’s degree transcript and a list of publications.
- A written confirmation from your intended PhD supervisor (promotor) that he or she is willing to supervise you. MD-PhD Scholarship Application form 2023DOCX 31 kb
You can prepare the research proposal jointly with your intended PhD supervisor and get it approved by him or her before submitting it. Proposals should be sent as a single PDF file to the secretary of the selection committee, Janine Stolwijk, via email.