Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program:
The World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program (RSMFP) matches aspiring development economics researchers from developing countries with World Bank research economists creating unique opportunities for the fellows to participate in rigorous policy-relevant research in the World Bank’s Development Economics Vice Presidency (DEC). Fellows will be hosted at the World Bank in Washington, D.C. for 8 months (September to May each year) and work under the supervision of researchers in the World Bank’s Development Impact Evaluation (DIME) and Development Research Group departments, engaging in high-quality and policy-relevant research projects.
PhD applicants will have the option to select in the application whether they would like to be hosted by the Development research department or the Impact evaluation department in the World Bank’s Development Economics Vice Presidency (DEC).
he RSMFP offers a competitive compensation, totaling $42,750 net of income taxes per fellow for an 8-month fellowship (paid in monthly installments). The World Bank’s HR Operations unit, will assist the selected candidates with their application for G4 visa.
Note: The fellowship does not cover travel expenses.
Nationals of World Bank WBG member countries, with preference to nationals of developing countries
Applicants must be:
- Nationals of World Bank WBG member countries, with preference to nationals of developing countries;
- Graduates of MA level studies or currently pursuing a PhD in Economics or a related field;
- No more than 35 years of age (by June 30th of the year the fellowship starts);
- Available to relocate to Washington, D.C. for the duration of the fellowship.
Filling the application form takes approximately 20 minutes. You will be asked to indicate which research programs in the Development Research and Impact Evaluation departments best align with your research interests and may be prompted to answer multiple choice questions about your technical skills. Before starting your application, be ready to upload:
- Your resume in PDF format
- A statement of purpose in PDF format with no more than 500 words
- The contact of at least one academic reference
- Writing sample (optional): sole-authored research documents that best reflect the applicant’s English writing skills
- Code sample (optional): sole-authored script that best reflect the applicant’s coding skills
The window for applications is open