Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Award:
Samira Omar (TWAS Fellow)
Clean and renewable energy,
Sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity,
Plastic: degradation, pollution and microplastics,
Water purification and sanitation,
Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, carbon capture,
Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities,
Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery and restoration,
Ecological economics and planetary health.
Cash award of USD4,000
Least Developed Countries
The 2021 award will be awarded to a woman scientist national of a Least Developing Country (LDC), living and working in a LDC during the last two years immediately prior to their nomination, based on scientific achievements in any of the thematic areas below:
– Clean and renewable energy
– Green chemistry
– Sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity
– Plastic: degradation, pollution and microplastics
– Water purification and sanitation
– Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, carbon capture
– Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities
– Waste management
– Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery and restoration
– Ecological economics and planetary health
Self nominations and nominations from jury members will not be considered.
Fellows of TWAS are not eligible.
The same nominee cannot be nominated for more than one ‘Fellows of TWAS Awards’ in a given year. The secretariat retains the right to bring to the attention of the relevant nominators that the nomination may be suitable for another award, and the final decision whether or not to shift the nomination will be taken by the nominators themselves.
The 2021 nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” link at the bottom of this page.
To resume working on saved nominations, click on the “RESUME” link at the bottom of this page.
We strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the nomination as early as you can to enable us to process it as quickly as possible.
Before starting compiling the nomination, PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MAXIMUM CHARACTERS ALLOWED.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the on-line platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee’s work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- Clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honours received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s brief CV and her complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
- The nominee’s h-index in Google Scholar and the associated number of citations.
12 May 2021