The Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science was created to support female students pursuing computer science degrees, empowering them to excel in technology and become leaders in the field. Successful applicants will receive a 7,000 EUR award (or local equivalent) for the upcoming 2023-2024 academic year. The scholarship will be granted based on each candidate’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as their academic performance and leadership abilities.
All students who meet the minimum requirements are welcome to apply, with a special emphasis on encouraging women with an interest in computer science to participate. However, individuals who have previously received any of the following scholarships are not eligible for this award: Generation Google Scholarship, Generation Google Scholarship: for women in gaming, Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science in Ireland, Generation Google Scholarship: for supply chain and fulfillment, Google Lime Scholarship, Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship, Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science, Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming, Google Europe Students with Disabilities Scholarship, or Venkat Panchapakesan Scholarships India.
Who can apply?
Applicants who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply:
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelors program at an accredited university or college for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Intending to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelors program at an accredited university in Europe, Middle East or Africa for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field.
- Demonstrating a strong academic record.
- Exemplifying leadership and demonstrating a passion for improving the representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology.
The application process for the Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science involves the following:
- Completion of an online application, which includes providing general background information (such as contact details and current/intended universities).
- Submission of a resume/CV.
- Providing academic transcripts from your current institution.
- Responding to short answer essay questions.
To apply for the Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science, you will need to complete an online application, which includes two short answer essay questions. Each of your responses to the following two questions should be no more than 500 words:
- Describe a time when you encountered a complex problem that did not have a clear solution. Explain the steps you took to arrive at a solution, the resources and solutions you considered, and the key takeaways from the experience. Your example can be from a school, work, extracurricular, or home setting.
- From your own personal experience, discuss a barrier that hinders equitable access to the technology industry. Identify the underlying cause of the issue, and describe the actions you have taken and plan to take to combat this inequality. At least half of your response should focus on the actions you have already taken. Remember that your impact can take many forms and at different scales.
Prior to starting your application, ensure that you have the following documents ready for upload: a PDF copy of your resume (which should include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts), and a PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
Please note that the application deadline is Tuesday, May 16, 2023, at 6:59 AM GMT, or when 3,000 eligible applications are received.
Terms and conditions:
The Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science is available for eligible students who meet the requirements for enrollment, academic performance, and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Women who are interested in computer science are encouraged to apply, and the scholarship award may only be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for their studies at their primary university.
Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as full-time students for the 2023-2024 academic year, and their enrollment status will be verified after they are selected as winners. All scholarship payments will be made directly to the recipient’s university and will be used only for tuition and education-related expenses. Google will withhold the award for any recipient who no longer meets the eligibility requirements, and the award will be revoked for any recipient who fails to maintain the eligibility criteria.
Recipients of the scholarship will receive instructions from Google on how to receive the award, and they must complete these steps by the specified deadline. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from receiving the award. The recipients may defer their award for up to one year from the originally planned payment time on a case-by-case basis determined by Google. Google employees are not eligible to apply for the scholarship, and residents or ordinarily residents of embargoed countries or those prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply.
The applications for the 2023 Generation Google Scholarship for Women in Computer Science are now open. Interested applicants must submit their application before 6:59 AM GMT on Tuesday, May 16, 2023. Note that the application process will close as soon as 3,000 eligible applications are received, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
If you have any questions related to the Generation Google Scholarship, you can send an email to [email protected]. However, please note that we will only respond to inquiries that are directly related to the scholarship program. We will not reply to messages that are considered spam or inflammatory in nature. Additionally, we will not entertain messages that seem exploitative or intrusive.