The MasterCard Foundation Grant:
The MasterCard Foundation delivers its charity and development agenda guided by the aspiration of advancing education and financial inclusion to catalyze prosperity in developing countries. It accordingly seeks for a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. The Foundation holds this belief because of the fundamental alignment that all people, no matter their starting point in life, should have an equal chance to succeed and, given access to education, financial services, and skills training; people can have a transformative opportunity. This grant will support the training of 220 (110 undergraduates and 110 Masters) African economically disadvantaged students. The Programme will be executed by the RUFORUM Secretariat, together with two early adopter universities; Egerton University (Kenya) and Gulu University (Uganda) with opportunity to engage the other 64 RUFORUM member universities in Africa.
Undergraduate & Masters
This is a full-board comprehensive scholarship that covers: tuition fees, one return air ticket for African students from outside Uganda and Kenya, research costs, workshop and conference costs, living expenses including stipend and accommodation fees, laptop, internship attachment, community engagement and field attachment, and entrepreneurship training. Consequently, considering the level of investment, successful applicants will be required to become high achievers, highly engaged and focused students/graduates and change makers in their communities and Africa in general. This scholarship has the following attributes:
- This is a comprehensive scholarship with direct and indirect costs. Direct costs for student training will be transferred to the university as a grant payable to the university. The students will meanwhile receive their respective services and entitlements from the university as the implementer and, where necessary, from RUFORUM.
- All scholarships will be on a rolling basis implying that annual renewal of funding is subject to satisfactory academic performance at grade B level of the respective university.
- Retaking more than two courses will lead to the withdrawal of the scholarship awarded to the candidate.
- Applicants who may be discovered to have falsified information in order to gain advantage of the scholarship shall be disqualified.
- Successful applicants will be expected to become champions and transformative leaders, entrepreneurs and change makers at various levels and shall remain in communication with RUFORUM and its member universities, where necessary, for at least 5 years after completing their studies.
- Any misconduct (breach of university rules and regulations including participation in riotous acts) on the part of the successful applicant shall lead to automatic disqualification and loss of the scholarship.
This scholarship opportunity is open to African students of all race, colour, and descent, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged and from conflict and post-conflict areas of Africa.
Prospective applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota
- Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
- Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict areas.
- Be less than 25 years for undergraduate and less than 30 years for master’s studies at the time of application.
- Should have completed secondary school and/or diploma for a bachelor’s degree application not more than two years before the time of this call.
- The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the university of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University).
- For admission into Gulu University for an undergraduate degree programme one must have attained the High School Certificate (HSC) also known as Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent. For admission into Egerton University one must have completed the Kenya Secondary Education Certificate (KSCE) or its equivalent.
- Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Have commitment to working in agriculture and agricultural value chains
- Have a strong commitment to community transformation
Application Procedure Instructions:
Applicants are to submit both the scholarship application form and the university admission application form at the same time. Applications can be submitted in hard copy or by email attachment to the program coordinators in the University of choice:
Academic Registrar, Gulu University
Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality
P.O.Box 166 Gulu, Uganda
Email: [email protected]
Prof. Nancy W. Mungai
TAGDev Program Cordinator
TAGDev office, Physics Block 1st floor
Email: [email protected]
31st March 2021