The University of Hamburg in Germany is welcoming applications from international students for its merit scholarship program. Students of all nationalities who are non-German citizens are welcome to apply the Hamburg merit scholarships
With its merit scholarship program, Universität Hamburg supports outstanding international students and doctoral researchers in all subjects and at all degree levels who have been socially committed and actively involved in an international context. The awarding of a merit scholarship allows recipients to concentrate fully on their studies and gives them the opportunity to develop their skills.
University of Hamburg, Germany
All degree levels
- The maximum monthly funding sum is €850. Depending on the availability of funding, individual doctoral researchers may be awarded a merit scholarship totaling €1,000 per month (roughly 2–3 merit scholarships are awarded per round).
- Merit scholarships awarded for 2 semesters (total of 12 months). You can reapply for a scholarship. In well-founded exceptional cases, the maximum funding period is 3 years.
You get entitled to funding if you:
- have enrolled in your subject at Universität Hamburg for at least 2 semesters and are pursuing a degree (students in 2-year master’s degree programs and doctoral researchers can apply after 1 completed semester);
- do not hold German citizenship;
- are not eligible for the federal student loan scheme.
- The first step to applying for the Hamburg Merits scholarships is to enrol for a degree program of the university. Then apply for scholarships based on deadlines by following the link for your chosen application period (required to log in using your STiNE ID):
- Application Documents: You must upload the following documents to the online application portal:
- letter of motivation: please use this form (PDF)
- proof of social and/or intercultural activities (if aplicable)
- record of achievements: STiNE printout or list of course certificates. Master’s students and doctoral researchers submit their final certificate.
- evaluations from 2 professors or junior professors at Universität Hamburg. In justified cases, other teaching staff at Universität Hamburg can also prepare evaluations.
October 15, 2022