International students can apply for VUB Scholarships for the European Master of Science in Photonics. These scholarships, offered by Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Brussels, are designed to cover the cost of living in Brussels and amount to 10,000 EUR per year. VUB is a globally focused university located in the heart of Europe. It aims to contribute to a stronger future by providing tailored, high-quality education and fostering an engaged learning environment. During the admissions process, applicants will have the opportunity to showcase their technical expertise. Grant requests will be evaluated based on competence and motivation after the program’s approval.
Additionally, the B-PHOT research group, part of VUB, offers competitive scholarships to talented scholars. Those enrolling in the MSc program may be granted a B-PHOT Excellence Scholarship without the need for a separate application process. Recipients of this scholarship must commit to completing a Master’s thesis at VUB. They will be encouraged to pursue a Ph.D. at VUB’s B-PHOT, demonstrating their competence and achievements in the field. The new VUB B-PHOT Excellence Scholarships are now available for prospective international students.
- Level of Study: Masters
- Institution: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Study Location: Belgium
- Scholarships are offered in the fields of bridging physics, engineering, and photonics.
- The program is open to individuals who hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, (Applied) Physics, Materials Sciences, or a related field.
- Students in the final year of such programs are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a different engineering field can join the program through a personalized preparatory program.
- The preparatory program, consisting of 30 ECTS, is available for Belgian Bachelors in IR Architecture, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Industrial Science – Electronics/ICT, Engineering Science, or KMS Polytechnical Department.
- The details of the preparatory program, leading to either a Master of Science in Fotonica or the European MSc. in Photonics, can be found in Dutch.
VUB Scholarships for European Master of Science in Photonics:
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel offers several full scholarships of 10,000 EUR per year to students enrolled in the European Master of Science in Photonics program at VUB.
- These scholarships are specifically intended to cover the cost of living while studying in Brussels.
- Each application will be evaluated based on excellence and motivation.
B-PHOT Excellence Scholarship scheme:
- Three Entry Scholarships of 1,000 EUR each are awarded at the beginning of the first semester of the first year of the MSc. These scholarships are granted to the top three students based on our selection criteria.
- Three Continuation Scholarships of 1,500 EUR each are given at the start of the second semester of the first year of the MSc. These scholarships are awarded to the top three students based on their academic performance after the first semester. Students who did not receive the Entry Scholarship will also be considered for the Continuation Scholarship.
- One Excellence Scholarship, valued at 5,000 EUR, is awarded at the start of the second year of the MSc.
To be eligible for the VUB Scholarship, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from all countries around the world are eligible.
- Required Language: Proficiency in English is necessary. International students need to fulfill the language requirements through one of the following options:
- TOEFL-TEST: A valid TOEFL test taken within the last two years, with a minimum score of 570 (paper-based) or 87 (internet-based).
- IELTS: An original “test report form” (TRF) from IELTS, issued within the last two years, with an overall band score of at least 6.0.
- Cambridge-ESOL: First Certificate in English (FCE).
- Exemption for Flemish Community Diploma: Holders of a secondary or higher education diploma from a recognized institution in the Flemish Community are exempt from submitting a proof of language proficiency.
- Exemption for English Medium of Instruction: Candidates who have successfully completed a minimum of one year (60 credits) of secondary or higher education where the language of instruction was English can be exempted from the language test. An official certificate must be provided as proof.
Note: If the proof of English proficiency or APS certificate is not available before the deadline, it can be submitted at a later stage instead of missing the application deadline.
How to Apply:
To avail the scholarship, please follow these important steps (visit the official website for more information):
Submitting the Application:
- Use the online application form provided.
- It is recommended to apply as early as possible.
- Attach the following documents to your application:
- Clear copy of your ID.
- CV (Curriculum Vitae).
- Motivation letter.
- Two recommendation letters.
- Official bachelor’s degree or certificate of graduation.
- Complete and official transcript of records for your Bachelor’s degree.
- Official master’s degree or certificate of graduation (if applicable).
- Complete and official transcript of records for your Master’s degree.
- Official language certificate to demonstrate proficiency.
- Complete overview of the content description of your bachelor courses.
Note: Please refer to the provided official website link for more detailed information and instructions on how to apply.
Application Deadline: September 01, 2023