WEHI offers a number of dedicated scholarships through The International PhD Scholar Initiative (IPSI) to support International PhD Scholars who completed their latest degree outside of Australia to come to WEHI to undertake their PhD research.
International students who are in the final year of their current degree (expected to complete their current degree in mid-2023) are eligible to apply for this round of the International PhD Scholar Initiative.
Scholarship Benefits and Details:
Tuition fee offset, Allowance, Health insurance.
The International PhD Scholarships provide a living allowance equivalent to the current Melbourne Research Scholarship rate. In addition, all international PhD students receive WEHI’s $2000 per annum scholarship top-up plus a relocation allowance (once-off lump sum of $3000), health insurance coverage and a university tuition fee offset.
WEHI’s PhD students receive advanced, multidisciplinary medical research training through hands-on research within our leading scientific teams. Our Medical Biology PhD Program also equips students with the broader knowledge and skills to advance their careers.
For WEHI International PhD scholarships, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Have a four-year undergraduate degree (with a substantial research component) or Master’s degree at an international university
- Be in the final academic year of their current degree due to complete in first semester of 2023
This initiative is for applicants who will be enrolled as an international student in Australia.
- Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens qualify as domestic students with University of Melbourne and are not eligible to apply for the International PhD Scholar Initiative.
- If your last degree of study was at an Australian university, you are also not eligible for the International PhD Scholar Initiative. These international students should please see the scholarships options available.
Prospective international PhD students should investigate research projects with individual supervisors, attend our Student Open Days and be aware of the PhD application process for research opportunities with us.
To apply for the International PhD Scholar Initiative in 2022, international applicants (not currently or recently enrolled at an Australian university), required to:
- Check that you currently meet or are on track to meet the entry requirements for PhD candidature at the University of Melbourne.
- Investigate the student project opportunities to identify your preferred research areas (applicants should contact supervisors to discuss projects).
- Complete and submit an application form online.
You will be asked to nominate up to three research projects or WEHI supervisors for your application. Applicants encouraged to directly contact supervisor/s to discuss projects; any supervisor/s verbal agreement is informal at this stage. If you have secured a project with a WEHI supervisor, include a letter of support (optional).
Required submit the following supporting documents:
- A cover letter that explains your research interests and motivation for doing a PhD
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic transcripts (include university grading scale and English translation, if applicable).