The Fellowship Programme provided by the French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) presents 10-month fellowships in six prestigious Institutes located in Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes, and Paris. This program is open to esteemed international scholars and scientists specializing primarily in the fields of social sciences and humanities (SSH).
Successful applicants will enjoy the advantages of being part of the IAS community, which offers support and a conducive scientific environment. This includes collaborating with a diverse group of fellows and having close access to local research opportunities. Fellows will have the freedom to structure their work and conduct research according to their own preferences.
- Fellowship Sponsor(s): French Institutes for Advanced Study, France
- Fellowship Type: Fully-funded
- Host Institution(s): French Institutes for Advanced Study, France
- Fellowship Worth: Includes a living allowance of €2,700 per month, accommodation, and other benefits
- Number of Awards: 40
- Study Level: Masters and PhD
- Nationality: Open to domestic and international students
In order to be considered eligible for the French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme, applicants are required to meet the following criteria:
- Possession of a doctoral degree, along with at least 2 years of full-time research experience after obtaining the degree. However, an exception will be made for scholars who hold a Master’s degree and have 6 years of full-time research experience after completing their degree. It is important to note that the calculation of experience does not include the duration of PhD training.
- Compliance with the transnational MSCA mobility rule: Incoming researchers should not have resided or engaged in their main activity (such as work or studies) in France for more than 12 months during the 3 years immediately preceding the application deadline.
- The Fellowship Programme is open to candidates from all disciplines within the Social Sciences and Humanities field.
- Submission of complete application forms and all required documents is mandatory through the online application platform. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered eligible. Additionally, applications that do not adhere to the specified maximum length criteria will not be considered. Applications submitted in languages other than English, even if only partially, will not be considered.
The Fellows of the French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) will enjoy the following support and conducive scientific environment provided by the IAS:
- A net living allowance of €2,700 per month, ensuring financial support during the fellowship period.
- Two flexible contractual options tailored to individual situations: work contracts or paid leave, allowing flexibility in employment arrangements.
- Adequate social security coverage, ensuring comprehensive support for the fellows’ well-being.
- Accommodation assistance or relocation support, facilitating a smooth transition to the host location.
- An individual research and training budget amounting to €2,500 per year, enabling fellows to pursue their research goals and attend relevant training activities.
- Travel expenses coverage for one round trip from the fellow’s home country, ensuring convenient travel arrangements.
- Same working conditions as other fellows at the IAS, including access to individual offices, special privileges in university-based research libraries, IT services, and availability of multiple collective spaces for collaboration.
- Opportunities for skills training, enhancing the fellows’ professional development during their tenure at the IAS.
Applicants are required to complete the application exclusively through the FIAS website. To initiate the application process, individuals must create a user account by clicking on the arrow located in the upper right corner of the FIAS webpage.
The application materials required, which should be provided exclusively in English, include:
- The completed online application form.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae containing a detailed list of publications.
- A copy of the diploma.
- A thorough research proposal, not exceeding 5 pages, accompanied by a bibliography (with an additional page if necessary).
- A selection of three to five publications, such as articles or book chapters.
- A letter of support or interest from a local scientific partner affiliated with the IAS. This requirement is specific to Le Studium (Loire Valley IAS), Collegium de Lyon, MAK’IT (Montpellier IAS), and Paris IAS, and is mandatory for applicants to these institutes.
- Optional: Up to two letters of recommendation may be included as supplementary documentation.
Application Deadline: June 6, 2023