Scholarships 2023/24, a prestigious and fully funded opportunity designed to support outstanding postgraduate students from all corners of the world. This scholarship offers a substantial financial package of $50,000 per year for each recipient, spanning a three-year duration throughout their doctoral studies. The selection process places equal importance on three key criteria: Academic Excellence, Research Potential, and Leadership.
In 2008, the Government of Canada inaugurated the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program with a specific aim in mind: to enhance Canada’s capacity to attract and retain exceptionally talented doctoral students, thereby solidifying Canada’s reputation as a global hub for cutting-edge research and advanced education. Vanier Scholars are expected to exhibit not only remarkable academic prowess but also leadership qualities, setting a high standard for scholarly accomplishment across diverse fields such as social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health-related disciplines within the realm of graduate studies.
- Sponsorship: Government of Canada
- Scholarship Type: Fully Funded
- Host Institutions: Canadian universities and institutions
- Scholarship Value: $50,000 annually, renewable for three years
- Number of Awards: Up to 166 scholarships granted annually
- Study Level: Postgraduate (Doctoral)
- Eligible Subjects: Refer to the list of eligible research areas
- Nationality: Open to applicants of all nationalities
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
The criteria used for selecting recipients of the Government of Canada’s Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are as follows:
- Academic Excellence: Demonstrated outstanding academic performance.
- Research Potential: A clear display of promising research capabilities.
- Leadership: Assessment of leadership potential and evidence of demonstrated leadership skills.
In terms of eligibility based on citizenship, the scholarship is open to:
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Area Of Research:
Fields of study eligible for research include:
- Research in the field of health.
- Research within the natural sciences and/or engineering.
- Research encompassing the social sciences and humanities.
For further details on eligibility criteria, please refer to this link: Link to Eligibility Information.
How to Apply:
Prospective applicants for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2023/24 should be aware that these scholarships typically involve a nomination procedure. To be considered, candidates must receive a nomination from a Canadian institution that has been allocated a quota, which is a pre-established limit on the number of applications it can submit for the national competition to host Vanier scholars. Therefore, candidates should exclusively seek nomination from the institution where they intend to pursue their studies.
Here is the revised timeline for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships application process:
- July to November 2023: Applicants actively search for a nominating institution and assemble their application package.
- Internal Deadline (varies): Application submission deadline at the nominating institution. Please get in touch with the nominating institution to confirm the exact date.
- November 1, 2023 (20:00 EST): The deadline for institutions to forward their nominations to the Vanier CGS program.
- November 2023 to March 2024: Comprehensive review and assessment of the nominations take place.
- Early April 2024: Expected notification of results. Nominees will receive notification via email when the results are accessible on Research Net.