Leiden University is excited to announce the availability of the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) for International Students for the academic session 2023-2024. This prestigious award is specifically designed for outstanding students who wish to pursue a Master’s degree at Leiden University. The scholarship is now accepting applications.
The LExS is exclusively open to exceptional individuals who plan to enroll in a full-time Master’s degree program offered by Leiden University, excluding the LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programs at Leiden Law School. This scholarship presents an incredible opportunity for students who demonstrate academic excellence and seek to further their education at one of the leading universities in the world.
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): Leiden University, Netherlands
- Scholarship Type: Academic Award
- Host Institution(s): Leiden University, Netherlands
- Scholarship Worth: Covers tuition fee ranging from €10,000 to €15,000
- Number of Awards: Multiple scholarships available
- Study Level: Master’s degree
- Nationality: Open to international students
- Scholarship Exclusion: Applicants who have already completed a Master’s degree at Leiden University, unless applying for a Master program with specific prerequisites (e.g., LLM Advanced Studies programs).
- Duration: The LExS scholarship is awarded for the entire duration of the chosen study program.
- Three Levels of Awards:
- €10,000 deduction from the tuition fee.
- €15,000 deduction from the tuition fee.
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee.
- Partial Scholarship: The LExS scholarship does not cover all expenses and is not considered a full scholarship.
- Financial Proof: Non-EEA LExS recipients must still provide evidence of sufficient funds for their student visa/residence permit application.
To qualify for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), applicants are required to fulfill the following criteria:
- All Master’s program applicants at Leiden University, excluding LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programs at Leiden Law School.
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA nationals applying for a Master’s program at Leiden University (additional note for UK students).
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies program or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Academic Excellence: Applicants must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous relevant study program(s) for the Master’s program they are applying for.
- Eligible Faculties: The following faculties are eligible for the study scholarship: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
How to Apply:
- Apply online: Complete the online application process to seek admission to a Master’s program at Leiden University. Ensure that you have paid the application fee, if applicable.
- Specify LExS application: Within the scholarship section of your online application, clearly indicate your intention to apply for the LExS.
- Submit a LExS motivation letter: Follow the instructions provided in your online application to upload a PDF file of your LExS motivation letter. The letter should not exceed 500 words and should express your reasons for seeking consideration for the scholarship.
- Respect the application deadline: Submit your online application, including your LExS application, before the designated deadline specified for the LExS.
- Multiple program applications: If you are applying for more than one study program and desire to be considered for the LExS for each program, clearly state this intention in each application. Additionally, upload a separate LExS motivation letter for each program.
1 Oct 2023 (for programmes starting 1 Feb) yearly