PhD on Goal-setting for Physical Activity Promotion:
Southern Cross University, in collaboration with Prof Corneel Vandelanotte at Central Queensland University; is offering a fully funded PhD scholarship in goal-setting for physical activity promotion. We are seeking an outstanding and highly motivated individual to lead a program of research on this topic and develop research collaborations between both organizations.
Specifically, this PhD will compare multiple approaches to goal-setting within the delivery of step-count based physical activity programs in insufficiently active adults. The PhD will focus on identifying the most effective goal type(s) to assist these individuals in becoming more active using a web-based program and/or wearables. Ultimately, this work intends to provide guidance on how best to set goals for physical activity promotion, in terms of increasing step count and optimizing psychological factors such as enjoyment and motivation.
- Health and Human Sciences
- Physical Health
Scholarship Award & Benefits:
The successful candidate will receive a PhD stipend for a 3 year duration at the Australian Research Training Program rate (the 2021 rate is $28,597 per year, indexed annually).
Australian and New Zealand citizens.
This scholarship is open to Australian and New Zealand citizens. The successful applicant will need to meet the entry requirements to enroll in a PhD at Southern Cross University on a full-time basis, including a second-class Honors or above in Psychology or Sport and Exercise Science.
Although not essential, the following are desirable:
- Background in exercise science and/or physical activity promotion;
- Interest in the psychology of goal-setting and motivation;
- Interest in technology-based interventions and wearable fitness devices and
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
lease send your CV (2 pages max), a cover letter explaining your interest in and suitability for this scholarship (1 page), degree transcripts/certificates, details of two referees, and any other relevant research documents (e.g. publications/theses) in one PDF file via email to: [email protected] Please quote the PhD title in the subject line of the email.
- Outcome of expression of interest; You will be notified of the outcome of your expression of interest, by email after the closing date.
- Invitation to attend an interview; If your expression of interest is shortlisted, you will be invited to attend an interview. Further details about the interview will be provided in the invitation. Interviews will take place online via Zoom.
Until position is filled.