The DAAD-TUM Asia scholarships 2023 Singapore
TUM Asia provides various scholarships and grants to its graduate students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievements, leadership skills, and good moral character. The scholarships offered by TUM Asia are highly competitive and are awarded based on recommendations and testimonials from referees.
The scholarships offered by TUM Asia for graduate programs in Singapore include full scholarships as well as semester-based scholarships. Applicants for MSc scholarships are required to apply simultaneously with their application for admission to a graduate program, while semester-based scholarships are awarded based on first or subsequent semester results.
The following scholarships are available for postgraduate programs at TUM Asia, subject to eligibility and availability:
- MSc Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students with outstanding academic performance and are intended to cover the cost of tuition fees and living expenses.
- EDB-Industrial Postgraduate program (IPP) Grants: These grants are awarded to students pursuing a postgraduate degree in engineering or science-related fields and are sponsored by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB).
- Industry Scholarships: These scholarships are sponsored by various industries and are awarded to students who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance and have the potential to contribute to the industry.
- TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarships: These scholarships are sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and are awarded to students with outstanding academic achievements and good moral character.
Applicants are encouraged to check the TUM Asia website for further details on eligibility criteria and application procedures for these scholarships.
Please click here to download Scholarship Brochure.
INFORMATION ON MSC SCHOLARSHIPS:
TUM Asia provides a range of bond-free MSc scholarships with limited availability for deserving students, which offer varying percentages of tuition fee reduction.
The following are the eligibility criteria for selection of TUM Asia’s bond-free MSc scholarships, which are open to both international students and Singapore citizens/PRs applying to Master of Science degree programmes:
- Excellent academic performance
- Good industrial background (if applicable)
- Strong recommendations/testimonials
Please note that all scholarships are subject to availability and are limited in number. To be considered for the MSc scholarships, applicants must receive an offer of admission into the MSc programmes before 31 March of the current intake. Additionally, scholarship applications that include essay submissions must be submitted by 31 March of the current intake. Terms & Conditions apply.
MSc scholarships are available in the following categories:
1. Academic Distinction scholarship
The Academic Distinction scholarship is given to exceptional candidates in recognition of their outstanding academic accomplishments. The Scholarship Committee will evaluate all applicants based on academic merit and final grades submitted during the application period. Candidates do not need to apply separately for this scholarship. All applicants who meet the academic and admission requirements or have received an offer of admission to TUM Asia’s MSc programmes will be automatically considered for the Academic Distinction scholarship.
2. ASEAN scholarship
The ASEAN Scholarship is available to citizens of ASEAN member countries, including Singapore. To apply for this scholarship, applicants must have received an offer of admission to one of TUM Asia’s MSc programmes and paid the Registration Fee.
In addition, applicants must submit an essay of no more than 500 words explaining why they are deserving of the ASEAN Scholarship.
3. Women in STEM scholarship
The Women in STEM Scholarship is designed to support exceptional female candidates and enable them to leverage opportunities in STEM-related careers. This scholarship is available to all female applicants.
To be eligible for the Women in STEM Scholarship, candidates must have received an offer of admission to one of TUM Asia’s MSc programmes and paid the Registration Fee.
Moreover, applicants must provide an essay of no more than 500 words that illustrates why they deserve the Women in STEM Scholarship.
Please note that the scholarships mentioned earlier cannot be combined with each other. In case an applicant is selected for more than one scholarship, the higher or the highest tier scholarship will be awarded.
The number of bond-free MSc scholarships awarded to applicants may differ from year to year. TUM Asia Office of Admission will inform successful applicants between the months of April to June. If you require more information regarding our MSc scholarships, kindly send an email to [email protected].
Please click here to download Scholarship Brochure.
EDB-INDUSTRIAL POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME (IPP) GRANT
Singapore’s Economic Development Board (EDB) has developed the Industrial Postgraduate Programme to equip postgraduate students with industry-relevant training that prepares them for Research & Development (R&D) roles in the industry. The programme also assists companies in attracting talent to fill their R&D roles. The training is conducted in Universities and corporate R&D facilities to provide hands-on experience.
The Industrial Postgraduate Programme Grant supports participating companies in providing postgraduate training to eligible candidates. The programme aims to prepare these candidates for research-intensive roles with a strong industry focus, providing them with the necessary skills and knowledge for a successful career in R&D.
EDB-IPP Trainee Eligibility:
- he programme is designed to provide postgraduate training to eligible candidates in order to prepare them for research-intensive roles with strong industry relevance and focus.
- It is open to Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents who meet the admission criteria for the MSc in Integrated Circuit Design programme.
- The trainee must not be receiving concurrent funding under any EDB grant schemes or any other bursaries or scholarships.
- There is no bond requirement and the trainee can be either a new hire or an existing employee of the company.
- Each trainee will be enrolled in an Integrated Circuit Design (ICD) Training Position, where they will undertake a research project under their company’s supervision for the purposes of completing their Master’s degree.
- The Training Period for each ICD Training Position is up to a cumulative 2 years, starting either when the trainee becomes an employee of the company or when they are enrolled as a full-time postgraduate student at the university, whichever is later.
- The Training Period ceases either upon the end of the 2-year support period or upon thesis submission by the trainee, whichever is earlier.
- Each trainee is expected to spend at least 50% of the Training Period working on the research project at the company’s R&D facilities in Singapore.
Sponsorship terms and Grants:
|Grant Component||EDB’s support per Training Position|
|(a) Fixed Monthly Allowance||Fixed rate of S$3,500 per month|
|(b) Trainee postgraduate tuition fees 1||100% of the fees that are published by the University|
|(c) Research grant funding for Project 2||50%, capped at S$25,000 for the MSc in ICD Training Position|
- The grant component covers tuition fees, examination registration fees, and fees for mandatory academic activities. Taxes are not claimable.
- The items claimed under the grant component must be related to the project, including funds for lab equipment or consumables, software, and overhead charges at the University R&D laboratory. Funds for publication of research work and participation in research conferences (including overseas travel expenses) can also be claimed. Taxes are not claimable.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please write in to [email protected].
TUM ASIA-DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS:
The scholarship is awarded to exceptional students from Asian countries who wish to pursue a Master’s degree program at TUM Asia in Singapore. The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses, and a travel allowance. The duration of the scholarship is two years, which is the standard length of the Master’s degree program at TUM Asia.
The TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarship Project aims to promote academic exchange between Germany and Asia and to encourage outstanding students to pursue higher education in Germany. The scholarship recipients are expected to contribute to the academic and cultural exchange between the two regions and to serve as ambassadors for their respective countries.
The scholarship is highly competitive, and the selection process is based on academic excellence, motivation, and potential for future leadership. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the DAAD website for more information on the eligibility criteria and application procedure.
The TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarship Project has certain eligibility criteria that must be met by applicants. These are as follows:
- The scholarship is only available to students who have been admitted to a Master’s degree program at TUM Asia and are currently enrolled in the program.
- Students who have received a scholarship from TUM Asia are eligible to apply for the TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarship.
- Students who are fully supported (both tuition fee and living stipend) by TUM Asia’s industrial partners or any other organization are not eligible to apply for the TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarship.
- Students who hold German citizenship are not eligible for funding.
- The scholarship is awarded based on academic excellence and moral character, and a limited number of scholarships are available each year.
- Upon receiving the scholarship, awardees will receive partial financial support for their tuition fees and living expenses for one semester (6 months).
- Depending on their academic performance, students can reapply for the scholarship every semester, and the total number of semesters for which a student can apply for the scholarship depends on their program of study.
Interested applicants are encouraged to check the DAAD website for further details on the eligibility criteria and application process.
Scholarship Selection Criteria:
The TUM Asia-DAAD Scholarship Project has several selection criteria that are taken into consideration when awarding scholarships. These include:
- Good academic performance: The scholarship is awarded to students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement in their previous studies and have maintained high academic standards during their Master’s program at TUM Asia.
- Personal letter of motivation: Applicants are required to submit a letter of motivation that demonstrates their academic experience, personal achievements, and future goals. The letter should clearly explain why the applicant is interested in pursuing a Master’s degree at TUM Asia and how the scholarship will help them achieve their academic and professional objectives.
- Non-academic achievements: The selection committee also takes into consideration exceptional non-academic achievements of the applicants, such as leadership skills, community service, extracurricular activities, and other accomplishments that demonstrate the applicant’s potential for future success.
- Financial background: While financial need is not the primary selection criterion, it is taken into consideration when awarding scholarships. The scholarship is intended to support students who face financial constraints in pursuing their academic goals.
Overall, the selection process is highly competitive, and only a limited number of scholarships are available each year. Applicants are encouraged to submit a strong application that showcases their academic excellence, personal achievements, and potential for future success.